Friday 30 October 2009

Halloween costumes and cookies......oh my!

We are back on French shores at last, just couldn't delay our departure from Hilton Head any longer, although we gave it our best shot.
Once we had said farewell to the house sitter I sat down with a cuppa (tea, milk no sugar) to sift through the post (mail) that had accumulated whilst we were gone and discovered a note from the local maire telling me that the children of the village would be arriving in 3 hours for the annual Trick or Treat bonanza.
This usually happens on the Wednesday before Halloween as this is not a school day.
Because we are a tiny hamlet, 94 residents living in 47 houses but quite spread out, the parents accompany the children driving them from house to house.
Quelle horreur!! There was not a stick of candy in the house so we jumped in the car and headed to the local epicerie to raid the shelves.
We made quite a haul but when it came to pay I discovered that I had brought the wrong wallet and had only $$$$ with me. Not a problem, Madame said it was quite alright and that I could settle the bill in a couple of days when I was over my jet lag.
Back home again I quickly prepared a basket with a Halloween theme, donned my witches hat Mr B placed his red devil's horns on his head, I tied Mr Ben's pumpkin ears (deeley boppers) around his chin and we were all set.


These are the witches & ghouls who came calling that night.............................

See Mr B on the end with the basket?

If only I had had a bit more notice I would have made these fabulous Orange Pumpkin Face Cookies or these Spider web chocolate fudge muffins for our visitors.





Head over to Designs by Gollum for more Foodie Friday treats and eats.



Whilst still in HH we went one evening to an event called the Pumpkin Patch which was held at the Community Park at Shelter Cove.
Shannon Tanner is a Hilton Head legend and has been performing his Harbourfest Show every summer for the past 22 years at Shelter Cove Harbour.


We first saw him there about 17 years ago and it was great to see him again on stage at the Pumpkin Patch, doing what he does best, entertaining families and also judging the childrens Halloween Fancy Dress Competition.


Check out the baby Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz

and this little Hershey's Kiss won first prize.



One last thing...........don't miss the great 100th post giveaway happening tomorrow on my other blog Quimper Club International.

Click here to read about the prizes and here to leave a comment on the 100th post to participate in the draw.

Or simply click on the giveaway button at the top of the sidebar to go to the QCI Blog and read all about the fabulous 10th Annual meeting that took place in Dallas, TX last week.

Happy Halloween wherever you are!
Maggie


16 comments:

  1. I really like the look of those cupcakes :) And, the little Hershey's kiss is pretty cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your costumes are a riot, especially the poochies!! LOL I know you must have had a great time in HH. My DD & her DH used to live there & we visited often...still have many friends on the island, as well.

    Great looking treats, BTW.

    ♥ Rettabug

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to run out and get some candy for our goblins! I don't bake (well, I do, but I'm awful) so it'll just be a basket of goodies again this year. Thanks for all the Halloween costume pics too...gets me in the mood. Glad you made it safely home. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do not lead a boring life :-). I loved your post but was especially charmed by the liitle Hershey's Kiss. She's way too sweet. Have a wonderful Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home Maggie. We do not celebrate Halloween here, in fact I have a notice on the door from our local police that says no trick or treat!!!

    Hope you are feeling relaxed and refreshed from your holiday and
    30th wedding anniversary celebrations!!

    Have a good weekend in Normandy, Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Home! Looks like you didn't have a moments rest getting ready for the Trick 'r Treaters! They are a cute bunch. I really enjoyed reading about your trip to HH and I look forward to more Normandy info. and pics.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite the goodish gang ya'll have hangin' 'round your door. I just want to plant kisses on that little cowardly lions face. Adorable!!!

    Ya'll have just the best weekend filled with many surprising blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am more than ready for the trick or treaters that actually won't even show up here. We are at the end of a fairly busy street next to a dark greenbelt area. They don't come down this far and we will be surprised to see 4-5 total.
    That being said I have 3 big bags of candy that my 22 year old is badgering me to get a hold of. He must wait until after Halloween. Brat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK the dog LOL
    cutest kids costumes TOO cute! Happy Halloween to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your dog. What GREAT!!! treat and fun for halloween. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggie, this looks like great fun. I wondered why you said the children were there to trick or treat on Wednesday.
    No luck with the photo collage, so I ended up doing another Smilebox for my Halloween photos. Oh well, someday I'll figure it out. LOL
    Happy Halloween to both of you! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back! I"m still jet-lagged; waking up at 4 am unable to sleep any longer, falling asleep at 8 pm... Sigh. It's a small price to pay, though!

    We don't have trick-or-treaters here in Belgium. I miss them. I hope you enjoyed yours!

    Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonjour Maggie,

    Happy that you are back home but also happy to hear that you had such a great time at HH. Your posts and pictures were wonderful.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That little Hershey sweetie is just so cute! Everyone looked like they had a wonderful time.
    Hope you have a happy Halloween!
    Best wishes, NM.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love seeing the group of little French children Maggie, and Ben, of course, how cute. All the photos are fun, you and Roger get right into the spirit of things.

    Have a wonderful week end.

    All best,
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is the cutest cookie faces I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!