Tuesday 3 November 2009

3 or more Hilton Head restaurants!!


I know, I know............. it's almost winter and here I am still banging on about Hilton Head!

But you see I won't be going back there until next October when we'll be co-organising the QCI 11th Annual meeting in Savannah.

Some of you lucky people might get there before I do so I wanted to share with you and Tam's 50th Three Or More Tuesday @ The Gypys Corner,our favourite HHI restaurants just in case you'd like to try them too.



There's only one place we head to for breakfast or an early lunch and that's "Gruby's New York Deli". Split the NY Reuben you won't be sorry.

Since I wrote this blog earlier today NM has come visiting and asked what is a Reuben, guess they don't have them in OZ?
This is Gruby's NEW YORK REUBEN
Corned Beef, Pastrami & Swiss with Sauer Kraut & Russian Dressing
Triple Decker…


A casual relaxed place for lunch? Then you won't go far wrong with "Hudson's on the Docks" or the "Grumpy Grouper".


Want something quirky off island? You have to head to Bluffton and experience the "Squat & Gobble" restaurant. The food is excellent and it was packed when we went.


I'm not saying another word, go see for yourself.


For casual fine dining we always like "Bonefish".

And maybe I'll regret telling you about this "find" but a new place to us this last trip was "Charlie's L'Etoile Verte", a Hilton Head insider secret for over 25 years, I have no idea how we missed it all these years but it's a keeper now. They have Quimper faience hanging on the walls!

Please visit Tam @ The Gypsys Corner and all the great blogs gathered there today.
Bon appetit y'all!
Maggie.

14 comments:

  1. Our friends from Ohio who are coming to visit us in December go to Hilton head every year and now I see why.

    I must ask though, I have heard about Reuben sandwiches but have not ever had one-what are they made of?

    Best wishes, NM.
    PS thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi NM,
    Thanks for visiting.
    This is GRUBY'S NEW YORK REUBEN
    Corned Beef, Pastrami & Swiss with
    Sauer Kraut & Russian Dressing
    Triple Decker…
    I'll try and add a photo to the blog, so check back later.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie,
    All the restaurants sound fabulous...I should not be reading this at 6:27 in the morning, it's making me hungry!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Rubens. I thought everyone has heard of Rubens. I did a post a while back about our trip to New York City. DH and I stopped at the Carnegie Deli. They served a sandwich that must have been 8 or 10 inches high. We ordered another one like in your picture and shared it. We have never been to Hilton Head, but I know that it is a popular destination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm hungry. Wonder why. Hmmmm....(great post!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maggie,

    Just as Karen, I've had a Reuben at Carnegie Deli in NYC several times, but not one here in my own state at HHI. Must check these out, they sound great.

    Keep up the good work you do, so interesting for us all.

    A bientot,
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man. I had forgotten all about Reubens. I mean the sandwiches, not the painter. Now I'm wishing I had one, and guess what? They're absolutely NOT available in Belgium. No corned beef. No pastrami. No russian dressing. Good pumpernickel and rye bread, though...

    This is definitely on my list if I get back to HHI. Or the next time I'm in Atlanta to visit family.

    Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maggie,

    When I was pregnant with my first son, I craved Reubens. I haven't had one since.

    hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie~~

    We meant to visit Hilton Head when we visited the South last spring but ran out of time. I regret it even more after your post because the local fare is what really excites me when I travel!! And I love a restaurant with personality!!

    The Reuben sounds delish. I have a recipe for a reuben casserole that you would LOVE! I make it for my father all the time. Let me know if you would like it and I will email it to you.

    Happy Three Or More Tuesday. Have a lovely week! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great collection of restaraunts! I hope you enjoy your visits there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your three restaurants sound great...Reuben sandwiches were one of my favorite sandwiches before i stopped eating meat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maggie, nothing like a good Reuben with a side of fries. OK, Quimper on the walls. I guess that is a find!!! I certainly hope this restaurant will be on the agenda next October. Enjoyed the post. Thanks for sharing. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Maggie, these restaurants look so good. I haven't been to Hilton Head but if ever I go, I will check them out....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, Those places make me daydream about what could be on their tasty menus. I wish I could visit! Maybe one day...
    Thanks for checking out my blog! I have added your button as well! I must say, I need to grab a cup of coffee and take some time on your blog- your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!