Tuesday 23 February 2010

Lemon Curd made easy.

A couple of days ago I came across a recipe for a lemon curd & blueberry loaf cake.
Well, I can't find blueberrys here at the moment and I used all my Crazy Jack organic blueberries making muffins last week.
But what really bugged me was that I didn't have any lemon curd either..............you're beginning to think I've gone mad aren't you?

But, I did have lemons and so I made some lemon curd in my slow cooker.
The easiest thing I've made in a very long time.

I'm linking to Dining with Debbie's Crockpot Wednesday with this simple recipe, but I'll probably get thrown out as it's so easy to make!

My recipe:

4 oz butter (100g), 4 large brown eggs, (only kidding they can be white!) lightly beaten, finely grated rind and juice of 4 lemons, 1lb (450g/2 cups) fine caster sugar.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the lemon rind & juice, then the sugar. Heat gently stirring constantly until the sugar has all dissolved. Allow to cool.

Stir the lightly beaten eggs into the cooled mixture and pass through a sieve into a 2 pint (1.2 litre/5 cup) pudding basin or souffle dish.

Cover securely with aluminium foil and place in the slow cooker.

Pour round enough water to come halfway up the side of the basin.

Cover and cook on low for between 3 - 4 hours, depends on your slow cooker, until thick.

Uncover & remove the foil after about 3 hours and take a peek, I find a quick mix with a hand whisk helps everything to combine and thicken, then cook for another hour.

Pour straight away into sterilised jars, fills about 3 depending on size, cool & seal.

Stored in the fridge it will last about 3 weeks, if you're not greedy.


Wikipedia has this to say about Fruit curds..............

Fruit curd is a dessert spread and topping usually made with lemon, orange or raspberry. The basic ingredients are beaten egg yolks, sugar, fruit juice and zest which are gently cooked together until thick and then allowed to cool, forming a soft, smooth, intensely-flavored spread. Some recipes also include egg whites and/or butter.
In late 19th and early 20th century England, home-made lemon curd (also known in the UK as lemon cheese) was traditionally served with bread or scones at afternoon tea as an alternative to jam, and as a filling for cakes, small pastries and tarts. Homemade lemon curd was usually made in relatively small amounts as it did not keep as well as jam. In more modern times larger quantities are feasible because of the use of refrigeration.
Lemon curd is still a popular spread for bread, scones, toast or muffins. It can also be used as a flavoring for desserts or yogurt. Lemon-meringue pie, made with lemon curd and topped with meringue, has been a favorite dessert in Britain and the United States since the nineteenth century.
Curds are different from pie fillings or custards in that they contain a higher proportion of juice and zest, which gives them a more intense flavor. Also, curds containing butter have a smoother and creamier texture than both pie fillings and custards; both contain little or no butter and use cornstarch or flour for thickening. Additionally, unlike custards, curds are not usually eaten on their own.

18 comments:

  1. Mmmmm - my favorite way to eat this is in the teeniest of shortbread tart shells. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuuuuuummmmy looking lemon curd, sweetpea!
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maggie...

    My friend, your lemon curd turned out sooo pretty! I love the stuff and yet...I have never made any! I would like to change that and give your recipe a try...sounds easy enough!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Ohhh...and I love raspberries! I'm wondering if the same recipe can be used with raspberries? Have you ever made raspberry curd? The history that you gave about lemon curd sure is interesting...thank you again, my friend!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I love lemon curd! I have not heard of raspberry curd before either. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever idea! I love lemon curd. Not only in desserts, but mixed with Greek yogurt and served over fresh fruit it is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOOOOO lemon anything is FABULOUS !!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh, this sounds good and this recipe could not be easier. Yep, this chick is gonna have some lemon curd in the frig asap! Thanks girlfrind!

    God bless and you have yourself the best day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I guess I am the only one who has never had lemon curd!!! I am going to have to try this. Thanks!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmn, I haven't had lemon curd in a very long time. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, now I'm really hungry for some lemon anything. It's almost midnight, and it's freezing out. Now look what you've done, Maggie. I'll have to go to bed and dream about this lemon curd. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried making lemon curd. You have inspired me. I'm saving your recipe, and I will plan to give it a try. Thanks for the recipe. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Maggie,

    Your lemon curd looks yummy! I've seen quite a few recipes calling for lemon curd but have never tried them. It is rare to find lemon curd in grocery stores around here. I have seen it in Fresh Market but have never purchased any. Thanks for sharing that recipe. One day, I will give it a try!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds and looks delicious Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Maggie. This is WAY to easy. Lemon curd is supposed to be DIFFICULT!

    Now if only i had a slow cooker...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I knew I'd kick myself when I got rid of the slow cooker last year! As we don't cook/eat meat I just found it was taking up space. But, I love lemon curd and would never have know about making it like you do Maggie - sounds really easy. Good thing is though, wonderful Trader Joe's (who recently opened a new shop just 5 mins. away - I used to drive to another town before this), sells the English Provender Company's lemon curd (under T.J.'s name) at a very reasonable price, so I buy that now.

    I like to warm it slightly and spread on top of gingerbread, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew nothing about lemon curd until just a few years ago, when I dscovered it in a small shop. I was hooked, I love it.

    Maybe I can get the courage to attempt to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love lemon curd and made some to go with a scratch blueberry breakfast cake I made. Nothing better than lemon curd and blueberries.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just have to make some lemon curd soon! It sounds like it would be perfect in the middle of a cupcake:@)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!