Saturday 29 May 2010

Fête des Mères


Tomorrow, the last Sunday in May, France celebrates the Fête des Mères or Mother's Day, two weeks later than other countries around the world.
A lovely tradition here in Normandy (maybe in other parts of France too, although I can't be sure) is for local shopkeepers to present their female customers with a single long stemmed rose.
This morning at my local boulangerie I came away not only with a wonderfully fresh pain paysan for lunch but a beautiful red rose shyly presented to me by Madame's young son.

Wishing you all a lovely Fête des Mères wherever you are.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tradition! I love it!

    Happy Mother's Day to you. I hope you have a fabulous day!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely tradition for the shopkeepers to give out roses to the women who enter the shop. When my daughter was studying in Cortona, Italy there was a special day - I think it was called "Bella Donna" day and the shopkeepers gave all the ladies little bunches of yellow flowers. Sunshine Always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tradition. Happy Mother's Day! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonne Fete des Meres! No accents possible here, but the sentiment is true! Lovely to be given a rose on a Saturday morning - I'd feel special all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely sweet tradition, sugar.
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, what a sweet tradition. Those French really know how to treat their customers.
    Enjoy your weekend. Hugs ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just think how much peace there would be in the world, if we ALL did that! What a lovely tradition. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mother's Day to you Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rose is also a custom in Paris: when I was visiting there some years ago I was given one by the owner of a shop where I was buying roast chicken and potatoes for Sunday Lunch. Needless to say I was thrilled!! As a Francophile I'mv very pleased to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!