Sunday 12 December 2010

A Pause in Advent: week three.

Our Pause in Advent this week came courtesy of Mother Nature who bestowed milder weather on us so that we could get out into the garden for the "end of year" clear up.


2010 leaf pile
2011 leaf mulch
2012 compost for the potager!
This task had been delayed due to the unsually heavy snow fall we experienced recently and so we were glad to have the opportunity to gather up the leaves, conkers and twigs that lay all around.

Mr B was also able to see to the broken apple tree bough that had been brought down by the mistletoe.
My Adventkranz has been travelling, once again this week, as more and more seasonal decorating is accomplished.
It is residing at present on one of my favourite pieces of furniture, what we have always referred to as "the military chest" although I'm not sure why we do.

The simple vignette, beside the kranz, is of four Byers Choice Carolers from the Colonial Williamsburg series.
TheTavern Keeper and his wife and two Balladeers with their musical instruments.
Although I stopped collecting Carolers a few years back if I ever began again I would certainly look for more from this series as I think they are charming.

I added a HR Quimper cheese dish, it has a snake for the handle, and my Normandy lady plate which I bought at the recent QCI faience sale in Savannah.
Then I placed one of my favourite clocks, usually found in the dining room, on an HRQ trivet to add a little height and a focal point to the Carolers and to offset the kranz.
I'm heading over to see Floss now, at Troc, Broc & Recup to see how she and the other partcipants in A Pause in Advent have slowed things down this week.

11 comments:

  1. Doesn't your garden look different now the snow's gone - great leaf pile! And your carollers are fantastic. I hadn't seen anything (anyone) quite like them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely, Maggie. I could use a little help in the garden raking leaves. Want to send Mr. B for the afternoon? ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your visit and sweet words about the grandgirls -- always appreciated by a grandmother. Love your carollers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite the pile of leaves! And your carolers are utterly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maggie!

    Oh, your carolers are so adorable! And the Quimper cheese dish is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your everyday life with us. That I like, seeing what is going on in France. Love the carolers. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet are those Carolers?? What an adorable vignette. Don't think I have ever seen a Quimper cheese dish with a snake handle.
    Going to check out the other Advent pausers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow....that is one big leaf pile. Makes me want to run and jump right into it!
    The caroler figurines are wonderful. Wouldn't it be nice to open the door to people singing Christmas carols? I sing a lot of carols around the house but my husband and son don't appreciate my talent :)
    Have a great day.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll want to add a facebook button to your blog. I just bookmarked this article, although I had to complete it manually. Simply my $.02 :)

    - Robson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catching up on blog posts today and wanted to see what you were up to. Can you believe our house on HH is still not finished? Now they say Jan. Really miss the beach. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just have to say that I have enjoyed reading abut your Christmases in France, your memories of the time spent in Bavaria, etc... What wonderful opportunities you have had to learn about other cultures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!