Tuesday 4 October 2011

Heligan - the tour continues.

Once you've bought your ticket to enter the wonderful Lost Gardens of Heligan you are faced with two options.
Walk straight ahead towards the Northern Gardens, or turn right into the Woodland Walk.
We turned right along a sheltered and shady path venturing into over 80 acres of ancient woodland.
The Grey Lady
It isn't long before intriguing woodland sculptures such as the Grey Lady and the Mud Maid reveal themselves.
The Mud Maid sleeping peacefully beneath the greenery

Once past the Grey Lady another choice presents itself - continue on along the Georgian Ride eventually arriving at the Lost Valley, or cut across to the Jungle?


As the walk back up from the Lost Valley is described as steep, or very steep in places we decided to take the less strenuous path and explore the Jungle.


Everywhere you turn there's a "Kodak" moment waiting to surprise you.


We walked past the Steward's House, which is now a tearoom, and the Poultry Orchard.

Whichever way you decide to walk around the Lost Gardens Of Heligan eventually the path leads back to two very important places.



The Willows Tearoom - where you can sample many delights such as savoury snacks, sweet treats and wonderful pasties all freshly baked at the on site Heligan bakery.
Oh! They bake wonderful scones too for delicious Cornish cream teas.


After tea - shopping!
The Heligan shop is a wonderful place where you can find high quality items such as stationery, prints tapestries, toiletries and much more.
Next door the Heligan Plant Centre is brimming with all sorts of marvellous plants, gardening equipment, seeds and bulbs.


I stocked up on Cornish Spring bulbs.
They all had such fabulous names - Pipit; Niveth; Cheerfulness; Chuckles and Rip Van Winkle.
I'll be planting them in the garden and garden urns soon, for a marvellous display next year.


Joining our gracious hosts Bunny Jean and Susan
for
and
Click on the above links or the sidebar buttons
to see more Wednesday posts.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us through the woods with you Maggie. It must have been lovely to experience all the facets of each part of the Heligan woods and what a nice surprise to find a lovely tea house and gift shop at the end of your journey. It would have been a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Maggie, definitely Kodak moments abound in these gardens. Beautiful shots. Last day in the Loire. Our days have been filled with Kodak moments. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the green of these gardens. Reminds me of when I lived in the Seattle (Washington State, USA) area and had my very own "English Garden".

    I love the picture of the scone, the jam looks yummy!

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Maggie, what a beautiful place and I love your photo's. That scone looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did look up the Lost Gardens of Heligan on their website. Fascinating story. And how wonderful that you've done another post with even more photos. I love the idea of those surprises at every turn.

    The tea with scones and clotted cream wouldn't be something I'd turn down either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was time to call by for a catch up Maggie and this morning I am doing so from Outdoor Wednesday. I thoroughly enjoyed my virtual tour, lovely photos and a delicious cream tea to finish off with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so lovely there and as I mentioned earlier I must go some day. Love their geese - that's a great shot.

    Cream teas, scones look good, in the Westcountry sunshine. Clotted cream whether Cornish or Devon is delish, and homemade jam for sure! Now I'm homesick again - wonder when I'll get back.

    Hear you're enjoying some Indian Summer weather in your area too - what an amazing Autumn everywhere. We all deserve these perfect days after the heat of Summer.............and I'm taking advantage by getting the garden chores done before they turn into a version of 'Lost.............."!!

    Happy day Maggie.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel as though I've just walked through the Gardens of Heligan...Thank you for the tour ... I loved reading every word and seeing all your beautiful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a glorious place to stroll through and visit. Thank you for taking us along this interesting path, Maggie....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photography and gardens. I love the scone with mamolade, my fav! Lucky to find a tea house and gift shop, I just love trips like this. Thank you for sharing and for your lovely visit. Hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thoroughly enjoyed our walk through the wooded garden. The gray lady and the mud maid were so neat. I really enjoyed the natural aspect of the garden. Often, nature is best left to it's own devices.
    Thanks for your visit. I appreciate your kind comments.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I needed a trip through the jungle today. You did Kodak proud sweetie. Your pictures are just marvelous!!!

    I skipped breakfast this mornin'...bite please. That scone looks like a bit of heaven!

    God bless ya and enjoy your day sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a wonderful and magical place. The scones look yummy and the basket is gorgeous filled with wonderful treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These gardens are just lovely. How lucky for us to have you bringing them into our homes.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful Maggie. Heligan gardens would be a lovely place to walk, such beautiful scenery. The Willows Tearoom snacks brings back sweet memories from my travels. The scones and clotted creams were delicious. Hope to travel back your way some day for more treats. Great photos........

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Maggie, what fantastic photos of Heligan. I would love to visit. You gave a great tour, and I like the way you included the shop and cafe, a woman after my own heart! Many thanks for your visit via Lindylou, I am very pleased to meet you, and your blog looks delightful. Have a great weekend, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful place to visit. Love all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maggie- such beauty in every twist and turn-- it reminds me a little of one of our favorite places- the Biltmore Estate. I love the idea of the tearoom- I'd be there with one of those scones for sure!!

    Your pictures truly captured the natural beauty of this special place. I may not have the chance to visit- so I'm so grateful for your photo tour.

    What a wonderful place--

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Maggie,
    Thank you for the wonderfully peaceful tour! Beautiful shots all over the woods.
    xoxo
    Joy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!